With cold weather just around the corner, millions of Albertans are beginning to prepare their homes for the inevitable shift to long winter days and chilly nights. As homeowners ready their properties for dropping temperatures and do their best to keep the cold outside, there is an additional risk that they need to be aware of: fire safety. Each winter, hundreds of homes suffer catastrophic damage as the result of a sudden fire, putting families, as well as surrounding properties, at risk. Learn how you can help protect your home from common risk factors below!
Safety Starts From The Outside In
While many homeowners often think of the many indoor risks present, fire prevention is just as important outdoors as well. Factors that you’ll want to be aware of include:
- Clearing leaves and debris from the property.
- Avoid parking vehicles on top of leaves. Dried foliage can quickly ignite due to the ambient temperature from your car’s engine.
- Prune back trees, especially any damaged branches and any pieces near power lines.
- Ensure all flammable liquids and gases are properly stored.
Within The Home
Once your yard is winter ready, you can focus on indoor factors that may pose a risk. Such areas include:
- Inspecting smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- Having your fireplace’s dampeners checked
- Ensuring wood burning fireplaces have proper screening to prevent sparks from igniting other materials.
- Keeping a careful watch of space heaters, electric blankets, and any other freestanding sources of heat within the home.
- Exercising caution and avoid overloading electric outlets
- Never leaving candles unattended
Here When Disaster Strikes
At Abbey Platinum Master Built, we know just how devastating damages caused by a fire, flood, or other kinds of disaster can be for our homeowners. We offer comprehensive restoration services designed to help minimize the inconvenience experienced after such an unfortunate event and to allow you to return to a safe, comfortable home.
Learn more about our fire and distastes restoration services by contacting our team today.